Logic, Language and Information
My doctoral research lies at the intersection of probabilistic logic, formal learning theory and computer science. Areas of particular importance to this work are:
– logic of reliable inquiry (formal learning theory),
– probabilistic logics,
– dependence and independence logics,
– epistemic planning in belief revision,
– probabilistic neural networks and machine learning.
Hypothetical Reasoning. From Formal Learning Theory to Machine Learning I use probabilistic logic and neural networks to define the learning procedures for acquiring and testing conditional information. (Read more)
Logic, Proof Theory and Computer Science
I am also interested in the following topics related to logic and computer science:
– algorithm interpretability,
– algorithmic and probabilistic explanation,
– focusing proof theory and its applications to artificial intelligence,
– logic and Logical Data Analysis (LAD).
Privacy, data protection and surveillance
I work on a variety of problems related to privacy and surveillance, particularly those concerning political and economic dimensions of surveillance. I am especially interested in the following questions:
– How is privacy protection related to democracy?
– What is the political value of the right to privacy?
– What is the condition of privacy protection in the European Union?
– What is the status of privacy in the areas of influence of the People’s Republic of China?
– How does surveillance influence the global market?
Civil society and democracy in the CEE
Projects such as the Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) have revolutionized the methodologies of studying civil society and democratization. With new tools for generating informative indicators, we may now reattempt to tackle important questions which could not have been conclusively answered so far. For example:
– Is the civil society in Central and Eastern Europe “weak”?
– How does civil society relate to democratization and democratic backsliding?
– What are the trends of development of civil society in the CEE region?
– What is the condition of civil society in the European Union?